Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wednesday

I was checking Travis's Latin today and was stopped short by this surprising translation:
"Sanctus Deus peccata non amat." = "The holy god loves hot money."
(I'm not sure whether failing to capitalize God makes it better or worse. We could pretend that he was thinking of one of those Egyptian gods we've been studying, but we'd know we were pretending.)
I asked Travis what he was thinking (though my question was actually phrased a little more dramatically), and it turned out that the problem was partly translation, partly dreadful penmanship. So I guess we keep plugging away at the vocabulary, the handwriting, and the religious studies.

As part of our foster care project, we went out last night and took an infant and child CPR class. We thought the children would just sit in a corner while we learned the stuff, but they were invited to take the class too. Both Travis and Katie enjoyed doing CPR on the rubber children, but Katie did not manage to pass the written test because she couldn't read the questions. Actually, her reading skills wouldn't have hindered her a bit if she had only participated in the rampant cheating that was going on during both tests. It made me think of another reason I am glad we are homeschooling, which is that in a class of one there isn't much opportunity to cheat. We are going again tomorrow night for the First Aid certification part of the class. I am pleased to be learning about CPR and first aid, but the business of adults cheating and dishonestly being qualified to give emergency care bothers me.

No comments: