Monday, July 09, 2007

What the Japanese Beetles Haven't Yet Devoured



K. and I sat out in the backyard this afternoon, reading poetry, drinking lemonade, and eating animal crackers. She likes poems, as long as they aren't too long. Her favorites (the ones I read three times each) are "The Owl and the Pussycat" and "Halfway Down." She is such a fun kid!


Halfway Down
Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair
Where I sit.
There isn't any
Other stair
Quite like
It.
I'm not at the bottom,
I'm not at the top;
So this is the stair
Where
I always
Stop.
Halfway up the stair
Isn't up,
And isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery,
It isn't in the town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head:
"It isn't really
Anywhere!
It's somewhere else
Instead!"
A.A. Milne
*I think she likes this one because we have a staircase and she likes to sit on it, partway up.

6 comments:

Jules said...

Oh my goodness! She sure is cute!

I love that poem too. Good choice!

And I'll bet you guys have tons of fun sliding down the rocks and swimming! That place looks awesome! Is it free? Is it crowded? I want to go there and slide down the rocks too!! ;)

Wisteria said...

Our dogwood bloomed at Easter. That is a huge difference. Yet, you still have Sunflowers. How wonderful to have such a green thumb. The flowers are gorgeous and so is your daughter!

Melora said...

Jules & Wisteria,
Thank you -- I think she's pretty cute:)
The rock slide is located in a state park with no entry fee, so it is free. Some days (weekends) it can be crowded. Sometimes we have it to ourselves. You should come visit!
I hope my dogwood blooms next year! (I planted it last fall, though, so it is pretty small).

Anonymous said...

Oh, how pretty!! Those are lovely blooms! Hope the beetles leave you just a few things to enjoy!

PariSarah

Amy said...

Mary came in with a japanese beetle the other morning. We looked it up in the Pet Bug book we have on loan from the library and she made a home for it in a jar. Then I sent her out to collect more of them. Better in a jar than in my garden.

Peace
Amy

Melora said...

Sarah,
Thank you! Their intentions are evil, but my bushes are putting up a valiant fight.

Amy,
Better in a jar than on the bushes, but better down the toilet than in a jar! They are pretty, in an evil, metallic sort of way.