Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Once Again, the Best Laid Plans...

Our homeschool group is doing Macbeth this year, and this is play practice week.  Our version of Macbeth is very abbreviated, and the kids all learned their lines in advance, so all that was left to do this week was figure out how the kids would move around on "stage," try to get them to act a little, and get the props together.  Easy peasy, right?
Monday was a little rough, acting-wise, but Tuesday really seemed pretty good.  Wednesday (today) we were going to put up the curtain and have the kids in their costumes, but this morning I got a call from one of the moms saying that her kids had come down with a really nasty bug.  So the play is on hold until at least next week.  I already gave Travis and Katie this week off school work so we could have fun with the play (and they are also getting next week off, because my parents are coming tomorrow to visit for a week), and just to show that I am not a mean mommy, I did not make them do lessons today just because the play was off.


This is our director.  
Not really, but only because she is still a little floppy.

The witches are supposed to look mean and not smile. They find this a real challenge.

In this scene the doctor (Travis) and Lady Macbeth's Lady in Waiting (or something of the sort) are watching Lady Macbeth sleepwalk/talk and try to get her hands clean.  I'm sure doctors often find their patients' carrying on to be dull, but we'll try to get Travis to at least pretend to look interested.


Macbeth is obviously annoyed at having been killed by the very enthusiastic Macduff.

I'm sure it will be good when it happens.

And in other news...
We went to Ikea last Monday and got these!  And they are already nearly full!  Anther narrow bookcase would almost have fit on either side of the window.  But we would have had to trim the window trim a little, especially on the right side.  And I thought it might look cramped (though that didn't stop me from considering whether a shelf might fit over the window!).  So now I don't have any books stacked in front of other books or piled on the floor, which is a new look for us and one I like very well.

1 comment:

Dy said...

I look at pictures of Travis, and wonder, "Does James look like he's grown that much over the winter?!?!?" Probably. I think it's a blessing that we don't notice it quite so much in our own homes, or I'd be in a puddle right now, groping about for some comfort foods.

The play looks like such fun. I love your group! (Oh, and that precious, floppy little director! I need someone nearby to have a baby.)