Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Family is Visiting

My little brother and his lovely wife and one of his lovely daughters are here! They are excellent company, and my mom really seems happy they are here.

I went for a nice little walk with them yesterday at Stone Mountain, and they're back again there today! (And today the skies are bright and gorgeous blue, though it's still too cold.)





(I especially love this last picture. Fifty-three years of love and happy companionship.)


Yesterday, Tuesday, my brother went with us to see the oncologist, following Monday's PET scan. No surprises, but the news, now that all the relevant information is in, is still devastating. The oncologist is very kind and sympathetic, though, and she is very impressed with the experience and qualifications of Mom's new primary care doctor, who has expensive experience in hospice and palliative care. They are going to consult and get things moving to get Mom in hospice care, which, they say, will provide home health people, nurses, a doctor, and any medical equipment we might need down the road. The cancer is horrible (as the CAT indicated, the PET shows that it's in her right lung and a couple spots in the spine now), but at least she is being cared for by caring, competent people. And my dad is revealing levels of gentleness and patience in his care for her that, I think, surprise even him.

Here are a few other recent pictures...

(Mom watching me cook. She was, up until just the last couple years, an absolutely Brilliant cook and baker, and I always feel a little silly cooking in front of her. I suspect that she's thinking, "Why didn't she pay better attention when I showed her how to do that?" And she's right!)


Finn, waiting to catch a treat. He's getting a bit better at catching!


Happy lap dog.

And a few from dinner last night...








And then some gratuitous Finn and Livy pictures! (Ed says I never post pictures of Livy. But here they are, honey!)



No comments: