Thursday, March 01, 2018

Time, like an ever-rolling stream...

 Today is Ed's birthday (he's 58, and just getting more lovable with each passing year), and we've had a good day! Cake, presents, and lemon chicken for dinner.




(Katie thought Gussie would like to wear a sweater to chase ice cubes in. Gus says the sweater is a little big.)

Happy birthday, sweetie pie!



February was a tough month and I'm not sorry we're through it. It was wonderful to see the family and friends who were able to make it for Mommy's memorial service, and the service, though small, was lovely, but losing Mom is a heck of a thing (and she would have enjoyed having everyone together so much).


My brother found a video clip that one of his kids had made with her from 2002 -- it's all swoops and shakes and footage of carpet -- and Mom is talking about how time goes so fast once you get older. He sent it this afternoon, and I've watched it over and over, delighting in hearing her voice again -- she was unable to speak for such a long time -- and watching the lovely expressiveness of her face. I wouldn't have wanted her suffering to go on, but I miss her so.










My brother and sister were able to stay a while after the service, and we got in some nice hikes.






 

And now we're on to the new "normal," without Mom.


Katie got this one of me and my heater cats.

Gus is warming to Finn. Well, not in this picture, but earlier today she jumped over the babygate to hang out with him in the back room and she was rubbing her head against his face, so we're making progress!

2 comments:

Janie said...

I thought of you so often and hope your dad is getting along okay. I know February was hard. And the flowers at your mom's service must have been some of her favorites; they were a beautiful combination.

Your post title really caught my eye.....my husband quotes that hymn line at our birthdays too. :)

Those kitty pics are just plain sweetness. That sweater!...was Gussie able to keep her balance walking?

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Melora said...

Thank you, Janie. My dad is doing as well as could be expected. Sad, but coping. And those flowers were really lovely -- she would have been pleased!

Gussie's walk was pretty funny in her great big sweater -- something of the "toddler stagger" -- but she didn't seem to mind. I guess she knew it looked good on her, and she's a vain little girl.