Saturday, October 04, 2008

Couldn't Ask for More

The kids and I hiked up to Wolf Rock today. The weather was just absolutely gloriously beautiful. I love this part of the trail. All the hard, uphill part of the hike is over (the part where one or the other of the children lies down in the trail, moaning dramatically), and we are nearly to Wolf Rock. There is an old stone wall along the left side, and I look at it and marvel at the toughness of those settlers in the mid-1800's, trudging up and down this hills, loaded down with all their stuff as well as with tired kids, who looked at this piece of wilderness and said, "Well, this looks like a good place for a farm." Or maybe one of their kids just sat down on the trail (if there was a trail?), and really wouldn't go any further. I never would have made it as a pioneer.Travis planned our picnic. Turkey sandwiches (butter for Katie) and Sunchips.There was a lovely breeze.The kids added rocks to a pile someone started.Katie liked the texture of this mushroom.Most of the leaves haven't turned yet, but there was a little fall color.Am I a lucky mommy or what?

Today is St. Francis of Assisi's day. He was not a very self-indulgent fellow, but he did have a favorite cookie! I made Mostaccioli today, which is an almond pastry, in his honor. Ed, who Does like to indulge his sweet tooth, says they are delicious.


And look at what Ed and Katie made for my birthday tomorrow! They are so talented!

3 comments:

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

How 'bout the recipe for those cookies so I can give them a try gluten-free? Once the oven is fixed anyway.

Happy birthday! Ed and Katie did a beautiful job on that cake. And it looks like Katie might have been sampling the icing while decorating. :D Chef's prerogative, of course. ;)

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Happy Birthday, Melora!

The walk looked wonderful--it looked like a perfect day for mountaintops.

This is one thing I miss about homeschooling. In the fall, especially, we'd take a day off for a hike. We'd pick it by the weather, and off we'd go to Cedro Peak or Juan Tomas or even Sandia Crest.

I miss that freedom!

Melora said...

KathyJo,
Katie feels obligated to sample large quantities of all sweets in the house. She did do a fine job with the frosting that made it onto the cake though!
I e-mailed you the recipe.

Elisheva,
Thank you! It was a perfect hiking day, and being able to take off Whenever IS one of the nice things about homeschooling. (And I remind myself of those advantages on the days when homeschooling is raising my blood pressure and making my hair grayer!)