Thursday, December 27, 2007

Busy Having Fun

We have been busy having fun! So many books to read, games to play, and toys to play with! And did I mention books to read?
Katie and I finally finished The Secret Garden. She enjoyed it, but I think we will wait another year or so before The Little Princess. We are now reading The Worst Best Halloween Ever, but that won't last us past tomorrow (it is short). I love having the "which one shall we read next?" dilemma! Katie got quite a few new picture books as well, and of course they get read Several times a day. Brave Margaret, Piper, and The Little Brute Family seem to be particular favorites. I received a number of books that I am eager to get at, so I will have to teach Katie to read to herself in the next week or so.

Travis and Ed are enjoying Travis's new Snap Circuits set. Except that I keep having to remind Ed that it is Travis's set.

(Ed did eventually give up the manual and let Travis have a go!)


The weather was lovely today, so we played outside, but Katie still found time to sculpt this very lovely self portrait. What is life without art?

And, because I am trying to salvage my baking pride after that unfortunate incident with the cinnamon rolls, I baked more of my yummy new bread today, which is not only delicious but which also uses up the left-over sweet potato pudding, a good thing once the turkey has been all eaten.

In case any of you also have left over sweet potato pudding and are just itching to turn it into wonderful smelling, orangy colored, very delicious bread, here is the recipe:



Maple-Sweet Potato Bread

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sweet potato pudding
2 Tbl maple syrup
4 tsp butter or margerine
4 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast


I made this in the bread machine the first time, but it stuck (still tasty, just not photogenic), so today I just made the dough in the machine and baked it in two 4 1/2" X 8" pans for about 45 minutes. Good stuff with turkey noodle soup, and Ed says also very nice with peanut butter and jelly.

1 comment:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Wow! That's a pile of books. And the bread looks delicious, too.