Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Holes in the Knees

Yesterday the weather was less cold than it has been lately, and the kids dragged me outside to go next door to the church parking lot to watch them roller skate and skateboard. Katie is not yet a confident skater, and mostly likes to cling to my arm while skating. The church has a nice carpeted ramp, for wheelchairs, I suppose, and Katie's independent skating consisted of rocketing down the ramp and having me catch her at the bottom. Travis is not much of a skateboarder yet either, but he is a fantastic poser! There were some little blonde girls playing on the playground nearby, and he kept striking up the most hilariously cool poses. I don't think the girls noticed, but he sure made me laugh!

Katie, whose clothing choices are whimsical, wore a ballet outfit (pink leotard with attached gauzy skirt) all day yesterday. Mostly she had jeans and a sweatshirt over the top, but the tights still got a little worn over the course of the day. Once something has a hole in it, Katie cannot stop herself picking at it, and by the end of the day her tights looked like this.
She wept. We promised a new pair. She pleaded for me to fix them.
"Please, please, please spare my tights, Mama! Granny could fix them!"

I don't think the seamstress has lived who could fix those tights.

"Why do you love these tights so much?" we asked.

"Because they are so sturdy."


*While unloading my pictures, I discovered some clues to how the tights might have gotten ripped. Ed must have taken my camera when he and Katie went out to play while Travis and I were doing school work, and apparently she was Not wearing jeans over her tights all day.

4 comments:

Emily said...

They're so sturdy!! LOL!! That is funny!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Oh, me! "They're so study!" Now that's funny!

But I guess she had a great time with them.

melissa said...

Awww....that is so funny! She is adorable!That's a free-spirited little girl you have there! Good for you for letting her be that way. Great post.

Dy said...

ROFLOL! She is just too cute for words, you know that? I love it. So sturdy... heh. What a sweetheart. And really, you can't expect her to be still on a day like that? I love the pictures Ed took - it looks like just the perfect day for riding and running and really putting the garments to the test.