Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Bit Off-Kilter

It has been a silly sort of week here.
I went to the library on Monday for book group, and it turned out that our group didn't have the meeting room and we were meeting at one of our members' home. Somehow I had completely missed this bit of information, and although eventually I made it to the right place, and in time to lead Prince Caspian, it started the week off with sort of an "off kilter" feel.
Tuesday Katie's piano teacher came to our house around lunch time for Katie's lesson. Which was wonderful, as Katie was delighted to have her lesson on her own piano, and it gave me some time to socialize and talk "shop, " but we were having such a good time that "lunch" took considerably longer than usual. (Still, I'll always be happy to have the lesson and our friends come to us!)
And I have no excuse whatsoever for our lack of brilliant efficiency on Wednesday and today. Can I blame it on the weather? It's been raining, which is fine, but the leaves having been turning yellow and falling off the trees in a most disturbing way. I am Not ready for fall. Even though fall has always been my very favorite season. But it seems as though time is rushing faster and faster these last few years, and if fall comes the next thing you know it will be winter! And Christmas will come, and then a new year. Travis overheard me pouting about all the leaves falling down and kindly went out and taped some back up for me, but I don't think we have enough tape to hold back time. None of this has anything to do with the amount of school work we accomplished in the last two days, but it is bothersome. Growing up in Florida, summertime never had tremendous appeal, aside from the whole "not being in school" thing, but here summer is really lovely.

Moving on...
Katie flooded the downstairs bathroom yesterday. Fortunately Travis walked past the bathroom and spotted the raging waters before they poured down the hallway, so the only damage (that we've found!) was an easily dried lake in the bathroom and another, not so easily dried, in the basement. When I sent Travis to check the guest room closet floor for water, he discovered a forgotten box of favorite toys from Florida (and no water --yay!). Absence having made the heart grow fonder, Buzz Lightyear and Woody have been chatting up a storm around the house (can you believe their batteries are still working?) and bringing back fond memories for me.

No comments: