Sunday, September 13, 2009

Onward

We had an ice cream social after church today. It was so much fun that we signed up to help with the fund raiser barbecue in October. Add that to the laprugs I'm knitting and the Christmas pageant I'm working on thanks to spur-of-the-moment, warm-fuzzy-feeling volunteering, and I'm starting to think that maybe I should steer clear of "fun" events at church. Anyway, no cathedrals were smashed today, so I really can't complain.

The kids and I went across the street to play this afternoon. I was supposed to get to read my TOG to prepare for the week's lessons, but the reality was that I was constantly responding to "Mommy, watch This!" Which was fine.
I did finish getting our Unit One TOG notebooks together today. They have all the reading assignments, literature worksheets, blank pages for outlining and narrations, biography and vocabulary pages, maps, and craft ideas for the next ten weeks. Actually, several of the weeks are so packed with books that they will take two weeks (at least), so I think we will get thirteen or fourteen weeks out of Unit One. Which means that much longer before I have to get all the books for the next unit, which is all to the good.

Oh! And this is the first time I've added a timeline to the back to Travis's workbook. On his second cycle through history he is supposed to keep a timeline. I did a (not very well maintained) wall timeline for Ancients, but this year I think he is old enough to get something out of marking the dates himself. The picture didn't come out well, but there are eight pages folded up accordion style in the back of his workbook with a timeline running from 250 AD to 1500 AD. It is divided into decades, each 1/2 inch apart. I am pretty pleased with it.

And here are (most of) our history and literature books for this week.

Tomorrow I am leading the discussion of Prince Caspian for book group. I wish I had Pollyanna instead, as I'm fuzzy on the theme and the main character(s) for Caspian. In fact, I think I'd better go take another look at my notes & see if I can't come up with some clearer ideas on the subject, so I won't look like a complete idiot tomorrow. Our next books are The Westing Game and A Little Princess.

No comments: