Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Beautiful Saturday

Today was just as gorgeous a fall day as you could ask for!  I had planned to do some lesson planning stuff, but instead I took the kids to the park and sat in the sun reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor while they played.  Much more fun than entering data into Homeschool Tracker!  And while I was reading How to Read Literature... I could almost imagine that I would be able to recognize symbolism next time I bumped into it -- the author makes it seem that easy!  Problem is, I don't read a lot of Serious Literature.  I am reading The Buccaneers to myself and Goody Hall to the kids, and next in our queue is Runaway Ralph.  I will give it my best effort, but I suspect that in all of these rain is just rain and a sandwich is just a meal.

We finally had a week of school in which everything I planned on doing got done.  Science and all!  Katie even did her first week of Prima Latina.  The reason we got everything done was that the only history/literarture we had was what didn't get finished last week.  Which should be very instructive to me, but I refuse to draw the obvious conclusion and schedule half as much history.  And, in my defense, both kids missed the lengthy read-aloud sessions that normally take up so much of our days.  The school week ended very happily on Friday, with Travis passing his Life of Fred: Decimals "bridge" to lesson 16 on the very first try and then making a 98% on his Unit II First Form Latin test.  We have enough days things don't go swimmingly that I am determined to glory in it when they do!

No comments: