Sunday, October 11, 2009

New Love

We spent Saturday morning and part of the afternoon at our church, serving up food at the "Barbeque and Brunswick Stew" which was held to raise money for our priest's discretionary fund.  I think the priest's fund is now pretty comfortable, and we had a good time slinging barbeque, stew, and beans.  Katie even got a couple tips for carrying food out to people's cars!  And afterward Ed drove us up to a place in Virginia that sells boots and he and the kids waited very patiently while I tried on a hundred pairs of boots and finally bought these lovelies with my birthday money!


For the past three winters I have mostly worn these

with the thickest socks I can find.  Fashionable as this look is, I have been thinking for a while now that it would be nice to have some new cold-weather footwear.  Since my feet have become increasingly duck shaped with age, finding a comfortable pair of shoes is not an easy task (which is why I have been wearing those excellent sandals pretty much non-stop for the past five years). Thus the trip to the boot emporium, recommended by a boot-wearing friend, in Virginia.  And in the end, after sorely testing the dedication of the young and not-terribly-enthusiastic salesgirl, I found my Perfect Boots.  They are Fabulously Comfortable.  Nice arch support.  No sliding around at the heel.  And not tight in the toes.  I am In Love!
The raised patches under the writing (which says "waterproof") are to cushion the side of my feet in the stirrups.  Since I don't have stirrups (or a saddle.  or a horse.), this feature might seem unnecessary, but it is good to be prepared, eh?

Finding fabulously wonderful boots was pretty much the extent of my industry this weekend, but I did also manage to get the dog washed.  This probably fell more into the category of "self-preservation" than "industry," as he had gotten very ripe.  But anyway, now he is much more pleasant to be around.  I wanted to get a picture to show how pretty he looks clean, but he wouldn't smile for me.
He looks pretty hard done by, doesn't he?  Being bathed makes him feel terribly martyred, but he loves being dried off afterwards so that face he is making is pure drama.
Katie tried to get him to smile (with treats), but he is stubborn.


Harry would have liked a treat, but the last time I gave him one it made him ill.  Indoor pets should Not have delicate digestions.

No comments: