Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Tuesday



Still here.  I spoke with my mother this morning, and she mentioned the lack of recent posts, and I told her that that was due to nothing having happened here in the past week.  But then I thought about it and realized that there have been Some developments.

Notably, those little black bugs eating my eggplant have made good progress.  I am now nearly 100% sure that we will Not be eating eggplants this summer.
The rest of the garden is plugging along okay.  Those little corn seeds popped up like anything, and now I should thin them but I haven't brought myself to do it yet.  They are giving it such a good effort, and that is something I don't see enough of.
You can't see the little carrots -- they are just to the right of the corn.  Actually, I can hardly see the carrots, but there are some tiny green things growing in a line roughly where I put the carrot seeds, so I'm hoping those are carrots.  And then there are lots of happy little weeds, but I can't take them out 'til I'm sure they're not carrots.

Speaking of dedication, one of our "projects" this summer is to get the kids into better work habits.  Well, really this is more like My project.  The kids are quite content with dilly-dallying all morning, breaking for a leisurely lunch, then procrastinating through the afternoon until Mommy collapses in a puddle of frustration and despair and they can go out and play.  Okay, it's not really that bad, but it is a long way from my vision of enthusiastic, energetic intellectual pursuit.  Last week we started back to our full schedule, and we did get most things done, but it took too long, and there was a certain lack of passion for the work.  This week we've done quite a bit better -- everything done, and not so long in the doing -- but there is considerable room for improvement.  If the children approached their work the way the corn plants do..... well, words fail me, but I don't suppose I'll need them.

We've started studying colonial America, and the kids are quite enjoying it.  Jamestown, Squanto, Pilgrims, and all seem sort of "familiar" after two years with the ancients & medieval/renaissance Europe.  Katie is doing well with the multiplication facts, and Travis is doing fine with percentages in Singapore and some pre-algebra in Fred.  He has started Second Form Latin, and so far it isn't as scary as I feared. 

The pool is wonderful!  Not that I've been in it -- much too cold for me.  But the kids love it, and I get to read on the deck while they play, so that is about perfect!

Bo loves the pool too.

No comments: