Thursday, August 11, 2011

Our Week in Pictures

I'm probably speaking too soon, today being Thursday and all, but it has been a pretty good week here!  The lessons have mostly gotten done with a minimum of drama and agony, the kids have gotten along as well as could reasonably be expected (my expectations having been tempered over the last few years), and even Ed and I have pretty much behaved ourselves. I haven't finished planning for the classes I'm going to teach on Monday, but that's what the weekend is for, right?


 Here, Katie is doing an experiment that demonstrates Archimedes' Principle.  The round ball of clay sinks, and my beautifully formed clay boat floats!
 
 Until... someone makes an even fancier boat and creates waves which swamp my poor little craft.

Here we see the evil tempest creator, proudly pointing to my little boat, sunk to the bottom of the bowl.

And there was quite a lot of playing in the pool.  Their favorite game is Shark. I'm not really clear on the rules, but one person is Shark and one is Victim, and there is a Lot of screaming.


And here is Emma.  Such a dainty little head on an increasingly barrel like body.

There has been a lot of silliness today...





It turned into a Game Day.  Here they are playing Preposition Tic-Tac-Toe.


And here the Famous People game.

The rules keep changing, but the most recent permutation is a lying game. One person supposedly reads three facts from the back of the person card.  Only, one of them is made up.  If the other player correctly states which is the made-up fact, he/she gets the card.  Both kids tend to get carried away with their made-up facts, so the game is not actually all that challenging.  But they are having fun and may be learning Something (how tell more plausible lies?), so I'm happy!

No comments: