Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Crafts

I am not crafty. But Katie, is, poor lamb. If she had a good mother she'd probably be making tapestries by now, but instead she has a mother inclined to scotch tape hems when they rip. I can sew. Just not well. Or enthusiastically. 
Anyway, I gave Katie an old pillow case that fell apart after years of faithful service. I thought maybe she'd make sheets for her doll. Instead she dug out an embroidery hoop from my many-years-neglected cross stitch bag and embroidered a little house! Kind of cute, eh? She used regular thread, which wasn't ideal, but I've promised to hunt down my old boxes of embroidery floss.


And Travis, as part of learning about the Romanovs today in co-op, made this lovely Faberge egg! It started with a real goose egg, and, I am told, the boys all completed their eggs without breaking one!


He also made this very lovely WW I trench/battlefield scene. With plenty of gore. And navy beans. But those are probably supposed to be sandbags. That's what he thinks, anyway!

So, as you can tell, co-op today was marvelous! Katie's class was very small, due to a family being on vacation, but she and a friend practicing their bandaging skills (WWI nurses). I am told that Katie is very efficient but a little lacking in the gentle touch. She comes by it honestly, anyway. My classes all went fine, though I ran out of time and had to cut short the discussion of Fahrenheit 451. Which, actually, didn't bother me. But I'm a little worried about not having explained how the boys are to use syllogisms and enthymemes in their papers. Maybe they'll surprise me (positively), though!

2 comments:

The Foil Hat said...

I'm so jealous - I LOVE crafts (in case you hadn't noticed) and I so wish we had a good co-op around us. Both kids' projects look awesome. If you can't find your embroidery floss, let me know, I'm pretty sure I have a BUNCH here and I do not use it for anything.

Melora said...

Thank you, Amy! I dug around in the back of my closet last night and unearthed my old floss boxes, all neatly organized and beautiful. I Did used to love cross stitch (it still appeals to me, just not enough to give it time!). Katie was Thrilled!