Thursday, July 17, 2014

Missing My Kids, Enjoying My Reading

We picked Katie up at camp last Saturday (She had an Absolutely Fabulous time! Lots of friends, no mean girls, oodles of girlie activities, and they had The Dance this year, and all the girls went without dates, which we consider a plus at this point!), and then both kids left with the church youth group for their mission trip on Sunday. They've called every evening so far (hooray!) and are apparently having a marvelous time. They've painted a house, stained a house (unless it was the same house -- the phone reception isn't great), and, last I heard, were going to build a wheelchair ramp. They've also eaten some great meals, gone swimming in a river, and today I think they were going tubing. I trust that they are reflecting the love of Christ out like crazy and bringing lots of Tennessee heathens into the fold.

I've been reading. I thought about cleaning the fridge, but then realized I'd rather read. I finished Boethius's The Consolation of Philosophy, which was excellent, and also Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora (also excellent -- lots of action, more profanity than I'm used to but not intolerably so). And today I read Jonathan Riley-Smith's What Were the Crusades? Again, quite good (though not as poetic as Boethius or as entertaining as Lies). I'd rather have the kids, but I'll admit that having hefty stretches of uninterrupted reading time is very nice. And my sweeties will be home some time tomorrow! I'm So ready to have them home!

(Here's my "to read" stack. Am I lucky or what?)

(Here's Katie on Saturday, when we picked her up. Unlike Travis's, her tan didn't wash off in the shower!)



And here the kids are up at church on Sunday, after loading up the cars. Oooh, I do miss them!

No comments: