Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Grand Day Out

Yesterday we skipped school and went to the Carolina Renaissance Festival.

The crowds weren't too bad (I'm told that on the weekends it is much more crowded (and bawdy), and we had a nice time. We saw jousting, a magic show, an animal show, belly dancing, singing nuns, and also many people in costume selling stuff. The people in costumes were fun, but some of the accents (attempts at Irish or English or Scottish) were just plain bizarre. (Singing nuns)

Travis inherited Ed's enthusiasm for carnival games. But not, thank goodness, his talent.

Mother Goose's goose gave hugs. Katie was a little tentative but finally allowed the goose to give her a snuggle.

Travis resisted the lure of a turkey drumstick as big as his head and was rewarded for his prudence by having enough money to jump on the bungee trampoline. This was his Absolute Favorite Thing at the fair. I don't get it, but he found it thrilling.

Unbeknownst to me, someone had mostly filled the memory card of my camera with pictures of Katie mowing (with the blade up) the lawn. So when I tried to take a picture of Travis 800 feet up in the air on the bungee cords I got a message on my camera screen saying, "Your card is full." And by the time I deleted a couple pictures and was ready to go, he was finished. So... here is a picture of a total stranger jumping. Just imagine that it is Travis, and that he goes even a little higher, and you will have the idea.

And here is Travis playing Robin Hood. Who'd have guessed that bows were so hard to pull back? It was a mighty struggle, but he did manage to to hit the target on the hay bales.

1 comment:

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Great pics! I LOVE a good renaissance fair. And I never resist the turkey legs. :D We saw Beowulf performed in mud at a fair years and years ago, and it still makes me chuckle to think about that. Gah, we need to find one up here.