Monday, October 13, 2008

No News is Good News!

Does it count as Nature Study if Katie and I both get stung by some sort of bug (the one that stung me was hiding in a clean pair of socks -- I took the socks out of the drawer, pulled them on, Yelled, and took them off again) and we use my excellent new Field Guide to Insects and Spiders of North America to identify the culprit as a Cuckoo Wasp? Actually, Katie insists it was some sort of a Mud Dauber wasp, but it was a metallic sort of blue and I'm sure I'm right.
That, and admiring the chickadees, tufted titmice, purple finches, and others, is as far as we've gotten with nature study this past week. But the weather has been cool and lovely, and the leaves are changing. One of the nice things about our long drive to church is that the weather is always a good ten degrees cooler up the mountain, so the leaves turn there first and when theirs are fallen ours are still on the trees.

4 comments:

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Oh, yeah. That definitely classifies as nature study. So does chasing bugs around the house and sucking them up with the vacuum cleaner. The key is to identify them, and then it's all good. ;)

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

That is surely nature study--the hands-on--or should we call it foot-on--kind!

I hope you put some meat tenderizer on the "owie." That helps with ant bites (which are really quite painful) at our house!

Cherrypie said...

Hellooo. Hellooo. Hellooo.

That sounds like perfectly acceptable nature study, only perhaps you could try a bug jar rather than fresh socks next time.

Love and hugs

XXX

Melora said...

KathyJo,
The cats have been helping quite a bit by eating all the bugs they can find. But they tend to leave legs, so I think it is mostly camel crickets they are eating.

Elisheva,
I did run across the meat tenderizer in the back of one of my kitchen cabinets yesterday, but at the time all I could find was anti-itch cream. Oh to be organized!

Cherrypie,
Welcome back! I did put Katie's wasp in a zip lock instead of squishing it. Anything that hides in my socks and stings me gets No mercy.