Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Wedding (no pictures but it definitely happened)

My darling sister in law headed back to Florida after a lovely but emotionally exhausting wedding "weekend." It was a small wedding -- my dad's brother and his wife, one of my brother's sons and his girlfriend, my sister in law, and my family. But Ann did an absolutely beautiful job with the flowers and the decorations, my aunt, a professional pianist, played, and the rabbi led us through the version of the wedding ceremony -- a "Jewish and Anglican inspired" atheist-traditionalist creation -- that Ann and my dad put together. They had the chuppah and my grandfather's tallit (borrowed from my sil, who treasures it from her wedding to my brother). They plighted their troths in modified version (references to God and to wives obeying husbands having been removed) of the 1662 C of E Book of Common Prayer Solemnization of Matrimony text. Dad stepped on the glass, we all said "Mazel tov" and so on. The wedding was in a gorgeous old mansion/event center, and the service and food were first class. I don't have pictures yet, but the wedding photographer was very industrious and I expect at some point I will! The next morning Ann, who has astonishing lots of energy, hosted a fabulous brunch for all of us at their place. For a small event it felt rather monumental.

(As I said, I have no pictures of the wedding itself, but these are from our house and Dad's. Just picture us all dressed in our finest and in a really fancy place.)






Ann is an excellent organizer and it was truly a lovely wedding. I know my dad still misses my mom, but he really does seem happy, and I am grateful for that. 

Having Kim stay with us was a comfort and lots of fun. We watched a Marvel movie (the one where Iron Man dies) and the Disney show with Baby Yoda, and we drank wine and stuff, and we talked and talked. She fixed some stuff on my new little Chromebook (a Black Friday gift and the reason I'm able to blog again) and shared a couple pictures of Jeremy I really liked from his birthday celebration at Universal in October. We miss him.





No comments: