Monday, April 17, 2006

More Realtor Nonsense

Well, we heard no more from the crazy realtor today, but I’ll describe the weird “thing” that happened (or, didn’t happen) with her on Saturday anyway. She had called a week or so ago, and told us that she had buyers who wanted the house. They had seen it several years ago, she said (which didn’t make much sense, since we’ve been here eight years), and they wanted to buy it. She wanted a commission, of course, and she wanted to know how low we would go, and then added her commission to the price. She said she was sure the resulting figure would be fine with her buyers, and was going to bring us an offer. We didn’t hear back from her, so, finally, we got hold of her, and she told us that her “buyers” were at least $20,000 shy of qualifying to buy our house (and there I had thought that figuring out how much house buyers could afford was something a realtor would do right away!). We were pretty surprised, then, to have her call early Saturday morning, saying that her buyers (the same buyers) had been looking at other houses in town, but still liked ours (the one they’ve never seen) best. She wanted to know if we would come down some on the price, and if it would be okay if they added in $5,000 of their closing costs, plus her commission, into the price. With their closing costs added, the price wound up about the same as the number they couldn’t afford last week, but she said that, this time, they were pre-approved through the mortgage branch of the real estate company she works for, and that the price would be fine. I told her that we felt a little funny about doing business with people who were touring other houses in town, but didn’t want to visit the one they Really wanted to buy. I asked if They would be bringing the offer, and she said, “no,” that she would be presenting it, along with their letter of pre-approval by the mortgage arm of her company. Pretty confidence inspiring, eh? She told me that she would just call the buyers and get right back to me. Ed and I talked it over, and decided that we really didn’t want to do business with her, and, conveniently, she hasn’t called back. It that strange or what? I can’t figure out what that woman is up to.

Of course, my wise dog Bo says, “Just put it out of your head and pat me, woman!” Certainly a better use of my time than trying to figure the motives of lunatic realtors.

3 comments:

Dy said...

What a nut-job! I think you and Ed made a good call. Wow...

Dy

Cherrypie said...

It certainly sounds like you did the right thing. I don't know how your realtors work but it sounds dodgy.

If I win the lottery, I'll buy it as long as you come over and bake s'mores every week x

Melora said...

You've got yourself a deal, Cherrypie!