Sunday, June 11, 2006

Planning an Early Night Here

We all got about as much sleep last night as I expected – not much. Around 11:00 p.m., K. finally decided that she would be more comfortable sleeping with me in our king size bed rather than on top of me on our narrow couch in the living room. Ed slept on the couch “supervising” the boys, and, judging by his snores, he, at least, did some sleeping. Surprisingly, the boys still woke up bright eyed and perky this morning. I actually had to ask Jason to practice his clarinet in another room, since I found that I am not up to listening to youthful clarinet playing until I have finished at least one cup of coffee. Now I am thankful that T. is not so passionate about his music that he starts playing before breakfast, a possibility which had not, heretofore, occurred to me.

Church went fine, but it was just as well that we were doing Sunday School, since T. was still feeling his onions too much for sitting through a service. The painting activity, which involved coloring in some posters of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus, wasn’t dreadfully messy, but Gina chose not to display T.’s picture. In his version of the scene, Jesus and John had gotten a bit rowdy, and were throwing earthworms at each other.

We took the kids to the roller skating rink today, which is something I’ve never done before. T. didn’t want to skate at all, but preferred to play the arcade games. K. put on skates with considerable reluctance, and, over the course of an hour or so, with a break at the snack bar, traveled about 2/3 of the way around the rink, holding onto Ed’s hand. It turns out that real roller skates on a slippery wood floor are quite a different thing from clunky kid skates on a dirt road. I’m not sure we have a budding roller derby queen on our hands, but it was a fun family outing.

No comments: