Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sunny Side Up

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey is looking like a great fit for Katie's science!  It includes most of the subjects I wanted to cover with her this year, so we can read the books I planned to read, but unlike my own very vague plans it is well organized.  Plus it has loads of activities, which is the way Katie likes her science.  Today we studied cells.  Apparently an egg is a cell -- who knew?  She studied the shell and then we broke it and studied the inside.  Actually, Travis wanted to study the shell too, but instead he rapped it sharply with the magnifying glass and we found ourselves looking at the inside rather suddenly.  That boy.





Travis has been stalled recently in science too, due to our lack of the proper lab equipment.  The box from Home Science Tools finally arrived yesterday, with our Chemistry Equipment Kit, and I thought we were ready for business today, but then I opened the alcohol lamp and found that it wanted denatured ethyl alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.  Travis thought maybe the Bacardi rum I bought yesterday for our holiday baking would work, but my dedication to science does not extend that far so his lesson was once more postponed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.