Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Finding Our Groove

We're slowly finding our new routine, but I'm very glad I decided to wait until September to add in the math and science! Travis has moved to high school level work this year, and Katie is into middle school, and both are finding that the more demanding assignments for history and literature take a little getting used to! Actually, I am finding the same thing. The material is very interesting, though, and the Teaching Company courses we've been listening to/watching every morning supplement what we are reading beautifully, so the kids have been engaged and enjoying our discussions. Co-op went well on Monday -- I think I may actually get the hang of fitting our discussions and my teaching into the time I have. Chocolate is helping inspire student participation. As I said, it does seem to be coming together.

And today is Latin Club! Today the kids are supposed to bring in pictures and sayings for the group to vote on for our Latin Club t-shirts. Travis's is below. It translates "I think some people in togas are plotting against me." (Not our translation. We got it, and also Katie's saying, from Henry Beard's Latin for All Occasions.) I love his picture. Katie says she is voting for it too.

And here is Katie's. In Latin it says, "In the good old days children like you were left to perish on windswept crags." While it might often be appropriate, I am afraid it seems a bit antisocial. But still, it is a lovely windswept crag, isn't it?


*Postscript: It was a wonderful Latin Club meeting! Katie voted for Travis's picture for the shirts, and he won, but several people voted for one of Katie's submissions (not the one above -- this one said, translated, "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe"), so she felt appreciated too! They played Latin prepositions games and had a scavenger hunt, and two moms accidentally brought refreshments, so there were lots of yummy snacks! (The two moms didn't really bring the refreshments accidentally. They brought them on purpose, but each thought she was the one assigned to snacks. But you knew what I meant anyway!)

No comments: